Where to learn. Has the short review delivered to you aroused your interest? If you do not mind working in the video game industry, try to find out more. Where to start? What courses do you need to take? Even in our country there is quite an interesting training offer. We start with state universities that activate academic courses specifically dedicated to video games.
The first proposed them in Milan and Genoa, but many other universities have understood the importance of providing specialized training for future programmers and video game programmers. And they organize themselves to meet their needs. For example, Luiss University offers a master in game design, and in Verona masters in game development.
We start with the Digital Bros Game Academy
There are also many private facilities. We start with the Digital Bros Game Academy, which is based in Milan and offers annual courses, which cost 7,000 euros. And we are continuing with the Vigamus Academy in Rome, which activates the three-year and master’s degree studies, for which we have to pay 6000 euros per year.
Also in Rome you can sign up for AIV (Italian Videogames Academy), which offers three-year courses, which cost 5,000 euros per year, during the IUDAV (Digital University Videogame Animation Institute) in Salerno, the first year of the lesson costs 4,500 euros (+ 500 registration fees), while the second and third year costs 6,000 euros.
We are also finishing Event Horizon, a school of digital and interactive art that has offices in Turin, Milan, Padua, Florence, Jesi and Pescara.
And this offers courses and masters of various types. This in Game Development, which lasts a year, costs 7550 euro. But there are also solutions with lower costs.
Work in the video game industry: this is how to create and what are the outlets. Studenti.it interviewed Geoff M. Davis, general director of Digital Bros Game Academy, which illustrates professional characters related to the video game industry, training and skills required by companies
What are the professional profiles related to the world of video games and what specifically creates the Digital Bros Game Academy?
Work in the video game industry
Making a list of all professional characters related to the video game industry would require websites and sites, because applications in the video game industry are in many cases similar to any company considered more „traditional”, such as media companies and entertainment. It is true that in the area of research on game development there are very specialized roles, such as Game Designer, Game Programmer, Art and Animator, and even more in the vertical – Level Designer, Modeler, Technical Artist, etc.
For this reason, there are plenty of professional opportunities for those who want to start a career in the industry and there are many employment opportunities, even for people with early experience.
Certainly the video game market has become more complex and competitive, which is why professionals and competences are increasingly being chosen by those who rent or look for collaborators for their own development studio or projects. Therefore, it is crucial to have special training and to follow an ad hoc path.
We see this clearly on markets such as USA and Candese, where the offer of training for the video game industry is wide and thriving.
When one of our students completes the DBGA course
Having said that, perhaps this need is emphasized in an even more meaningful way by talking to the students themselves, even those Italians who desperately want people, even beginners, who can contribute to the projects thanks to the skills they acquired after professional training on game development video.
At the Digital Bros Academy Academy, this is what we offer. Three courses – game programmer, game designer and artist / animator 2D / 3D – were designed to train the new generation of game developers on the video game market. When one of our students completes the DBGA course, he will be able to work as part of development studies as a younger resource and create his own projects.
We already have examples of projects that our students have implemented during the first 6 months, which we evaluate as products that will be published under one of the companies belonging to the Digital Bros Group.
In terms of consumption, the video games market in Italy is growing and growing from year to year, which is a clear sign of Italy’s passion for interactive entertainment. with
On the other hand, our country is still in the embryonic stage of development, but it is going through a moment of great ferment. Active video games development studies in Italy are in fact constantly growing (over 100, almost all micro), of which more than six out of ten enterprises were born less than three years and run by young entrepreneurs, with an average age of 33 years.
Greater emphasis on seeking international investment for domestic production.
After the decrees will come into force after being investigated by the European Commission expected for some of them, Italian production and distribution companies will have access to 2017, retrospectively to make a number of benefits such as credit production taxes, credit distribution, automatic and selective contributions, related to economic, cultural and artistic results.
„The last two measures – explains Thalita Malago, Secretary General of Aesvi – are key in the scenario, like the Italian, in which self-financing has always been the first source of income for enterprises in which the lack of sources of financing, both external and internal, is considered the main obstacle in the development of this sector.
To be more competitive on the global market, the Italian video game industry needs interventions that can accelerate the development of production at the local level. In this sense, the Act on Cinematography is a big step forward in this sector. We therefore hope that the implementation of the planned measures can start as soon as possible after the necessary
European level, and the implementation of legislation in the near future may take place in two different directions: greater financial resources for the video game industry and
Greater emphasis on seeking international investment for domestic production.
The number of applications for projects
However, the sector is growing. Even graduate courses have been created by train makers specializing in video games. The market, among others, is constantly growing. 25 million players are moved (50% men and 50% women). Almost 148 thousand people took part in this year’s Milan Games Week, alternating between two pavilions Fiera Milano Rho. Over 900 accredited journalists, bloggers and youtuber.
«Video game companies – Paolo Capitelli, partner of Forge Reply – also discover the potential of virtual reality. The latter turns out to be useful for training and teaching. This allows you to experience performance and product in a direct and engaging way. The number of applications for projects and projects concerning the construction of cars or buildings is also increasing. And maybe even while visiting museums and preparing exhibitions. I am zastonvinto that there will be growth in terms of both investment and employment. „
Work in the video game industry: where to start?
This video game is a constantly growing industry that is supposed to seduce more and more young and very young people. If the simple player started to hold fast, you can think about leaving the sofa set well in front of the console to move specifically after the action.
Working in the video game industry can be an exciting and exciting challenge. And also quite profitable. But what are the most desirable data on the market? And where do you take your first steps? We try to discover together, remembering that – as with any other sector – even this video game requires professionalism, commitment and responsibility. Those who think it’s just fun, it’s better to sacrifice to something else.
The most widespread competition
- Game designer (or game author). It is he who develops and proposes the basic idea of video games. He works in close cooperation with many other resources, thanks to which he improves the original project over time. This is a strategic figure that can not lack creativity, but even precision and rigor. Because the game designer is the one who sets the rules of the game. He can not have no clear ideas.
- Programmer. It records and develops the so-called „machine code”, which is the language in which all programs that can be performed for a computer are saved. It is a demanding and tiring job that requires extensive computer skills and a lot of patience. A computer game programmer is usually an IT engineer, accustomed to working with everyone and being hidden. But without him, the show could not appear on the stage.
- Artistic director. Responsible for the visual part of the game. He must have strong artistic skills and equally well-developed organizational skills, because he must coordinate the work of the resources involved, in different ways, graphically and animatively. In practice, if everything you see on the screen that you like means that the team headed by the artistic director works well.
- Sound engineer. He is responsible for the sound part. The one who gives voice to characters and takes care of all sound effects. Some video games have reached the definition of film products. It is also the merit of sound engineers who often choose suggestive music that can revive the players. And make them move forward faster.
- Video game tester. Before entering the markets, like all marketing-oriented products, even video games are tested by professional testers paid for „doing fleas”. The video game tester is a great connoisseur of the video game industry, which is able to identify errors and malfunctions that need to be corrected. It may seem like a dream job (things that change their minds even for those who design, from an early age to become rich by kicking the ball), but in reality it is a demanding profession. This requires special attention, competence and excellent communication skills.